- Get Involved
What's Happening In
Council Policy &
Green Products &
Join the ClimateChallenge1000
We’re looking for 1000 local households to be part of the climate change solution.
Switch to GreenPower and receive:
• FREE energy and water saving products
• FREE installation
• FREE advice on home energy and water efficiency
Climate Challenge 1000 is a FREE program where City of Port Phillip residents commit to purchase approved GreenPower, to your affordable level. In return, participant households receive FREE products that save energy and water and, FREE installation of the products.
Switching to GreenPower is the easiest way of reducing your home greenhouse emissions to zero. GreenPower costs more than regular electricity from brown coal, but this amount is offset by the savings you make from the items installed as part of the CC1000 program.
Climate Challenge 1000 provides you with your choice of electricity retailer to purchase GreenPower. The extra cost for GreenPower pays for new renewable energy systems, like wind farms and solar power plants, from which your home electricity is sourced. You can choose what percentage of GreenPower is affordable for your household, usually from 10 to 100%. The greater your percentage, the less greenhouse emissions you are creating.
*City of Port Phillip residents with current Health Care Cards or Pensioner Concession Card do not need to commit to Greenpower.
The following products are installed in the retrofit for FREE:
• Energy-efficient light globes, including small candlelight globes and those for dimmable fittings;
• Water-efficient showerheads to replacing old showerheads;
• Weather seals for the bottom of external doors to stop draughts;
• Weather sealing tape to block out draughts around doors and windows;
• An energy-saving powerboard with a footswitch, to reduce ‘stand-by power’;
• ‘Clear comfort’ window insulation film to keep winter heat in;
• ‘Renshade’ reflective window film to reflect summer heat out;
• A ‘Retro-flush’ device to convert a single flush toilet to dual flush;
• Flow aerator to reduce flow on taps and basins.
The retrofit takes up to 90 minutes, and a professional installer will install as many items as you need in that time. He can advise on the products and how to use them, and can also advise on how to make your home more sustainable.
Contact our Sustainable Programs Team for more information on 9209 6548
or email firstname.lastname@example.org